Here’s a fun way to eat your veggies – flatbread! What you top your flatbread with is also another opportunity to go to the farmer’s market and get creative with what is in season. During summer, cherry heirloom tomatoes are a MUST I tell you because these beauties are packed with flavor and fun colors like these here.
Here are some other summer vegetable ideas for toppings:
Shishito or Padron peppers
Organic summer squash. There are so many varieties. Have fun picking one.
Squash blossoms. So pretty!
Figs and sweet yellow peppers
See. The possibilities are endless for your pizza toppings. In fact, make it a party, invite friends over and make several flatbreads with different toppings.
This flatbread is so simple and fast to make. Here are the ingredients:
- One piece of Naan or Pita bread (Naan looks more like traditional flatbread versus Pita, but most Pita is dairy and egg free. You can buy pre-made Naan too. Most in-store Naan is vegetarian containing ghee or here’s a recipe for vegan Naan from Vegan Richa)
- 2 tbsps of pesto sauce (pre-made or I included my easy pesto recipe below)
- A choice of your favorite vegetable fixings. Get creative! In the flatbread I made above, it contains artichokes, black olives, mushrooms, chopped cherry tomatoes and red onions plus fresh herbs!
- Your favorite fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme, basil or oregano
- Olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 or get your grill going if you want to do the BBQ thing.
- Layer the pesto sauce onto a piece of Naan.
- Put your vegetable toppings into a small bowl and massage them with a little olive oil. The oil coating will help the veggies soften nicely while baking.
- Spread the vegetable toppings onto your Naan. Toss some of the fresh herb on top.
- Bake flatbread in the oven on a baking sheet, pizza stone or toss on the grill for 6-8 minutes depending on how crunchy you want your crust. Broil the top of your flatbread for 90 seconds just for a nice little top browning.
Here is my recipe for creamy pesto sauce.
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts or macademia nuts
- 1/4 avocado
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
In a food processor, combine all the ingredients together and blend until you have a nice creamy pesto sauce.
You can add some shaved parmesan or manchego to your pesto sauce but it really does not need cheese so you can keep the flatbread vegan.